Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 1 of my painful rehab

My patellas are subluxated and I need physical therapy to try and align them properly. There is still a chance that rehab can fix this although it's slim. I may need double knee surgery if my rehabilitation made no improvement.

Well, I had my first session this noon and I liked it. It challenged me to do what I can. As the PT told me, I have to do it coz I really don't have any other choice. It was really painful although the exercise routine was actually quite basic. If not for the rehabilitation, I wouldn't know that I can no longer raise my leg. At first I felt sorry for myself, why did I allow myself to end up like this and all those questions but I fought the thought and just focused on what needs to be done. At one point my knee even locked and it was f^&^# painful! It didn't stop me though, I pushed through with the exercise.

I am really praying that this would help me as I don't want that surgery. At first I thought the surgery I would have is arthroscopic surgery which is an outpatient surgery only. If that's the case, I would have had that surgery right away. Not too bad. But, I'll have an open knee surgery and there's a possibility I'll have both knees done in one setting. Will it be painful? Of course. 2 months on a wheelchair then months of painful rehabilitation again. I hate what I have to go through but I really have to face this. I should have faced this before but, maybe now is just the right time. Unfortunately, it's in this year that I really want to make a big impact in my life. I wanted to make this year a great year with lots of accomplishments but, I'll end up spending about 6 months focusing on my knees. I do hope it is worth it.

I am still thankful God gave me this chance to fix my problem. I will handle the pain and will do my best to really make this work. Doc said this is something I need to do for life as my case is genetic and it will keep on coming back if I would stop exercising my leg muscles.

If there's one thing I would promise myself, it's this: I will not let this problem interfere with my dreams. I will push myself harder so in the end, I'd still succeed.

0 comments: